Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Journal 3: Upside Down and Inside Out

Fulton, K. (2012). Upside down and inside out: Flip your classroom to improve student learning. Learning and leading with technology, 39(8), 12-14. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/issues/Upside_Down_and_Inside_Out.aspx


In the article entitled, “Upside Down and Inside Out,” Kathleen Fulton describes a high school in Colorado, which has a “flipped” type of curriculum.  According to the piece, the teacher of a Calculus I class decided to switch up the way in which he ran his classroom following budget cuts.  In place of the traditional classroom schedule with lecture in the classroom and homework at home, he has designed an innovative new teaching format where lecture is accessed at home and homework is completed in the school; this required a textbook-free curriculum.  The article self proclaims the astounding success associated with the flip, pointing out that student grades increased at an amazing rate.  Furthermore, the overall approval of students was high.

Implementing a curriculum such as this in my future classroom would be a wonderful way to shake things up and enhance learning.  While I will be a new teacher, I think mastery in a basic setting may be required before I begin making alterations to the norm.
'My double period - 5/6 - having a discussion - this one actually had school elements to it' photo (c) 2009, Andrew - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/


Questions to Consider:
Can I see myself using this type of technique in my future classroom?

Although this “flip” seems to be a wonderful support system in place for student learning, I question whether or not it is a fad (something the article also questions). Implementing any useful teaching techniques will be very useful as a first time teacher.  While I may need to perfect my own teaching styles before getting really creative, I cannot wait to get into a classroom setting and experiment with some of these techniques!  A challenge I see in this style of learning is getting the students motivated to watch and thoroughly engage in lectures while at home.  Some parental guidance and enforcement may be a necessary aspect of this type of learning.  In the end, anything that can get kids thinking and using their minds in ways they had never thought possible is definitely a win in my book.

What was a highlight of this article?

I really enjoyed seeing how a teacher was able to respond to budget cuts in a school district.  The ever-diminishing budget cuts is something I will most certainly face in my future career.  Further, combatting those things and trying to get a handle on the problems we face will be crucial to my success as an educator.  Being able to respond well to financial issues is something I will have to get used to in my profession, and that was really a main point of this article.  Getting innovative and creative with what you’re given is an amazing response to the budget crisis we currently face.  This is was the teachers at this Colorado high school were able to face and overcome.  I hope to one day be as clever and innovative as the educators described. 

No comments:

Post a Comment